About Stewart TV & Appliances
Why Shop with Stewart TV & Appliances?
In the spring of 1951, two skinny World War II veterans, both employed with the Seaboard Railroad, borrowed their limit from the credit union and leased a house on Quincy's West Jefferson across from what was then the new Lovett supermarket. James Stewart knew how to fix radios; Bob Young knew the business and was an entrepreneur. It was his idea to include appliances in their offerings. A sign painter was hired and handbills printed announcing the Grand Opening on May 28: Stewart-Young Radio and Appliances. From the start, the two friends placed a strong emphasis on integrity and service after the sale. James and Bob kept their jobs at the Quincy depot for several years. Their wives, Gertrude Young and Kathleen Stewart worked at the store too so that someone was always present during business hours. For their first sale of a Norge wringer washer, Bob and James borrowed a pickup truck from brothers, John and Woodrow Brockman, who owned the nearby Texaco Station.
They managed to obtain the Zenith franchise for the area. Television was a new-fangled contraption that required tall antennas to receive the snowy images from WMBR in Jacksonville or WALB in Albany Georgia. Bob and James rigged a telescopic antenna onto a boat trailer. If a customer was interested in a television, they set up the temporary antenna outside the customer's home and ran the antenna lead to a demonstrator set. If they got the sale, a new antenna was installed along with a new console Zenith television.
The business changed locations to North Adams Street a couple of years later and started selling records to boost the Hi-Fi phonograph sales. In September of 1956, Tallahassee's WCTV came on the air with signals strong enough to be received in Gadsden County via two dollar rabbit ears. Television sales went through the roof; Bob and James soon discovered they needed more room. That same year they moved into the old Roxy Theatre which remains their present Location at 24 West Washington Street.
Today, the store is owned and operated by the Stewart Family: John and Jerri Stewart, with Abby Stewart, Rufus Keigans, Wendy Sykes, Bessie Boyette, Eugene Haines, Cody Thompson, Will Harris, Sergio Paloma, and Darrell Cotton. We still put our customer first; we still service what we sell - and after 65 years, Kathleen Stewart comes in three days a week to make sure everyone behaves properly.
Come shop with us.
Make a PaymentDo you have an account with us and would like to make a payment? Click the link below: